Between Saturday 18 and Monday 27 February 2023, Network Rail are undertaking major work on the Grade 2 listed bridge which carries the railway across Buxton Road at Whaley Bridge.
This work requires the railway line between Hazel Grove to Buxton to be closed, with buses replacing trains.
Customers travelling to or from Whaley Bridge
Due to the pre-planned road closure of Buxton Road in conjunction with the bridge works, the station car park at Whaley Bridge will be closed and rail replacement buses are unable to serve the station.
We have arranged for valid rail tickets to be accepted, at no additional cost, on High Peak Buses (services 60/A, 61 and 190) for travel towards New Mills Central.
In addition, to help customers get around Whaley Bridge, due to the road closure, there is also the free shuttle bus service (WBR) which serves Whaley Bridge station, Tesco, Chapel-en-Le-Frith, Cockyard, Tunstead Milton, Horwich End and Whaley Bridge Primary School.
Specific bus times with links to real-time information are provided below:
- Service 60/A bus times – Hayfield – New Mills – Whaley Bridge – Macclesfield
- Service 61 bus times – Glossop – New Mills – Buxton
- Service 190 bus times – Buxton – Upper End – Chapel – Whaley Bridge
- Service WBR bus times – Whaley Bridge shuttle bus service
Services 60/A, 61 and 190 only run Monday to Saturday. On Sundays, customers are advised to use the service WBT between Whaley Bridge Station and Chapel-en-Le-Frith to connect with rail replacement bus services.
Rail replacement bus stops
Rail replacement bus stop locations are listed below and can be found on dedicated green posters at all stations directly impacted by the works.
The station car park.
The bus stops on Buxton Road, by the Royal Oak:
- Towards Buxton – the same side of the road as the Royal Oak
- Towards Stockport – opposite the Royal Oak.
The bus stops at the bottom of the station approach on Buxton Road-West, by the Ram’s Head:
- Towards Buxton – opposite the station approach
- Towards Stockport – adjacent to the station approach.
New Mills Newtown
The bus stops on Albion Road, at the Old Post Office:
- Towards Buxton – at the stop with the shelter
- Towards Stockport – opposite the stop with the shelter.
New Mills Central
The bus station adjacent to the station.
The bus stops on Buxton Road, near the Knowles Industrial Estate:
- Towards Buxton – the same side of the road as the station
- Towards Stockport – adjacent to the industrial estate.
No buses will serve Whaley Bridge.
For the duration of the works, buses not the bus stops on High Street, near the New Inn pub, instead they will use the bus stops at Town End, on Hayfield Road – East:
- Towards Buxton – by the scrap yard
- Towards Stockport – opposite the florist.
The bus stops on Buxton Road, by Dove Holes Methodist Church:
- Towards Buxton – on the same side of the road as the church
- Towards Stockport – opposite the church.
In the station car park.
For further information, including rail replacement bus timetables, please visit: https://www.northernrailway.co.uk/buxton23.