Network Rail are carrying out major upgrades on the West Coast main line between Rugby and Stafford as part of a multimillion pound investment which will mean better journeys for passengers and freight services.
As a result of this, the railway will be closed between Stafford and Rugby for nine days in October between Saturday 22 and Sunday 30 meaning all services will need to be routed via Birmingham. They will also be carrying out upgrades every Sunday from 16 October until 27 November.
Avanti West Coast will be operating an amended timetable during these times and journeys to and from London Euston will take 60 – 90 minutes longer than normal.
In summary the trains we will be running over the nine days are as follows:
- One train per hour between London Euston and Glasgow – this service will
additionally call at Crewe.
- One train per hour between London Euston and Manchester Piccadilly (via Stokeon-
- One train per hour between London Euston and Manchester Piccadilly (via
Birmingham and Crewe).
- One train per hour between London Euston, Birmingham and Preston. This extends
every other hour to Blackpool or Edinburgh. As this service already runs via the West
Midlands journey times are not extended.
- The majority of our Liverpool services will run between Stafford/Crewe and
Liverpool with onward connections to/from London. There will be some direct
services at weekends.
- North Wales services will run between Crewe and Holyhead only – one train a day
will also run direct between London Euston and Chester/Wrexham/Holyhead (and
- What improvements are being made?
- Upgrading track drainage in and around Nuneaton to help prevent flooding and
make journeys more reliable.
- Replacing vital signalling equipment between Rugeley and Stafford at Colwich
Junction, as part of a long-term project to modernise the signalling system.
Preparing the ground for where the West Coast Mainline will meet the new HS2 line at Handsacre Junction.
Further details on the impact of the works along with our amended timetables as they become available can be found on our website at the following address – https://www.avantiwestcoast.co.uk/travel-information/plan-your-journey/plannedengineering-works/trent-valley-engineering-works